Vineyards & Cellars )
Church and State Wines is one of BC’s most well-known and fastest growing wineries. We are looking for an ideal candidate to fill the role of Assistant Winemaker at our Okanagan Valley production facility in Oliver BC. This is a newly created position and is unrelated to previous advertisements.
Church and State Wines is home to over 140 acres of premium estate vineyards in the southern Okanagan Valley and Vancouver Island, which produce more than 20,000 cases of award-winning BC wine. Church & State Wines has always focused on unyielding quality, and has been making some of the world’s best wines including Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay and Pinot Gris, as well as Bordeaux and white Rhone blends. Since the launch of our new Lost Inhibitions Series of wines, our company has been growing rapidly to meet the demands of our consumers.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about winemaking and can grow with our company. Church & State Wines has always been driven by the balance between Art & Science, Terroir & Technology, Work & Play. Our new Assistant Winemaker will share these core values and be passionate about winemaking and growing with our company.
The applicant will be a Canadian resident or have a valid working visa.
To contribute as a member of a winemaking team dedicated to producing world-class wines. Participates in the execution of all winemaking activities at Church & State Wines.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Communicate with the Winemaker with regard to all aspects of production.
- Monitor the progress and status of each batch of wine and apply the appropriate handling and processing techniques, from grapes to bottle, that are required to produce wine of the highest quality.
- Assist the Winemaker in the blending of finished wines.
- Identify, assign and monitor the completion of required cellar activities.
- Responsible for carrying out the Winemaker's duties in his/her absence
- In consultation with the winemaker, contribute to overall style and quality of Church & State wines through constant evaluation (chemistry & sensory) and feedback.
- Receive, weigh and keep accurate records of all incoming grapes.
- Oversee and/or perform rackings, inoculations, and cap management of red fermenters during harvest.
- Fermentation management: Monitor temperatures, brix levels, and carry out sensory evaluations on all fermenting tanks in tandem with the winemaker to ensure that there is the highest level of scrutiny and confidence that fermentations are proceeding to completion without any troubles.
- Works in conjunction with the winemaker in hiring, training and other personnel issues.
- Ordering cellar chemicals and supplies for routine operations.
- In consultation with the winemaker, interpret lab analysis and implement required action on wines.
- Co-ordinate and execute the shipping and receiving of goods from and to Church & State facilities and oversee inventory management.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
1) Winery cleanliness and hygiene: The assistant winemaker is responsible for the cleanliness and hygiene of the cellar. As the leader in the cellar, the Assistant winemaker will always allocate enough time and resources for the maintenance of a tidy and hygienic facility, which includes the areas surrounding the cellar.
2) Bottling Operations: The assistant winemaker is responsible for ensuring the successful operation of the bottling line and the execution of the bottling campaigns. This includes maintenance of the bottling line (lubrication, etc), cleaning the line and the surrounding area, ensuring adequate bottling supplies are present on site prior to the bottling campaign, ensuring accuracy of all labels, ensuring the labour for the line is organized, and that production records are filled out accurately and in a timely fashion.
3) Cellar Operations: The Assistant Winemaker is responsible for the execution of all cellar operations and keeping accurate records of transfers and losses. The assistant winemaker may raise, execute, and complete work orders for cellar operations as discussed with the winemaker.
4) Inventory: The Assistant Winemaker will be responsible for the reporting of finished goods and bulk wine stock counts, in addition to the maintenance of the records.
5) Supervision and Training of Cellar Staff: The Assistant Winemaker will be the leader in the cellar and direct the permanent, harvest, and casual staff to execute winery and winemaking operations to the appropriate level of quality expected by the company.
6) Maintenance of Winery Equipment: The assistant winemaker will maintain all winery equipment. Any maintenance or repairs that cannot be done in-house should be contracted to outside parties and the Assistant Winemaker should oversee these activities and ensure that the work has been done to a high standard.
How To Apply
Please address your applications to:
Jeff Del Nin
For assistance please call 1 866 379 4915